At BYSO, we firmly believe in the power of exceptional classical music education to change lives. Our students receive a transformative music education – one that is rooted in excellence and shapes their life path through the development of life-long skills such as self-confidence, team-work and leadership. BYSO believes that all young children should have the opportunity to experience extraordinary music programing and the life-changing impact it can have. Unfortunately, these experiences are not a possibility for every child.
In 1998, BYSO created the Intensive Community Program (ICP), a rigorous instrumental training program, in response to financial and cultural accessibility barriers preventing students from the city of Boston and students of color from auditioning into BYSO’s orchestras and participating in our high-quality programming. ICP aims to serve students of color including African American, Latinx, Caribbean, and other populations historically underrepresented in the study of classical music. Students enter ICP with little or no music training, and after 2–3 years of training and support, they are prepared to successfully audition into one of BYSO’s prestigious orchestras, with the objective of reaching BYSO’s top level orchestra. Students are provided the resources they need to be successful in BYSO orchestras and beyond, including financial aid for orchestra tuition, weekly lessons, use of an instrument, positive mentorship and an array of support services until they graduate from high school. Through discipline and creativity, individuality and teamwork, students can accomplish personal and group goals. The results are young musicians who develop high aspirations and a desire to work towards musical excellence.
For information about ICP recruitment Click Here.
ICP IN THE COMMUNITY
- ICP offers a number of FREE concerts each season throughout Boston neighborhoods providing unique concert experiences for children and families in underrepresented communities.
- BYSO continues partnership with the Boston Public Schools offering string instrument workshops to students in kindergarten through second grade at the Dennis C. Haley Pilot School in Roslindale.
- ICP continues to forge successful and lasting partnerships with many organizations throughout Boston and the surrounding communities including Boston University, Noble and Greenough School, Boston Latin School, Brimmer and May, Boston Symphony Orchestra, The Museum of African American History, The City of Boston-Office of Arts and Culture, and more.
ICP AT A GLANCE
- ICP serves approximately 90 students annually, grades K-12.
- 16% of musicians in BYSO’s six ensembles are members of ICP (as compared to U.S. professional orchestras that cite less than 5% representation from African American, Latino, American Indian, and other diverse communities).
- On average, students spend approximately 11 years in ICP by the time they graduate from high school.
- 100% of ICP students have graduated from high school.
- 100% of ICP graduates have enrolled in a 4 year college.
For the past 22 years, the National Endowment for the Arts has supported ICP. NEA panelists have praised the high artistic quality and teaching methods of ICP, calling it a model music training program for underserved youth. Locally, the Massachusetts Cultural Council recognized the artistic merit of BYSO and ICP with the Commonwealth Award, the state’s highest honor in the arts.
ICP FACULTY AND STAFF
Nicole Cariglia, ICP Artistic Director
Marta Zurad, ICP Conductor
Janet Underhill, Assistant Director for Winds
- Robb Aistrup, bass
- Anna Bradford, oboe
- Nicole Cariglia, cello
- Dan Doña, viola
- Joan Ellersick, viola
- Neil Godwin, French horn
- Omar Chen Guey, violin
- Philip Hyman, trombone
- Aleksandra Labinska, violin
- Francesca McNeeley, cello
- Zoe Murphy, brass assistant
- Lauren Nelson, viola
- Mona Rashad, violin/viola
- Sebastién Ridore, viola
- Kira Shemeleva, trumpet
- Ryan Snyder, percussion
- Klaudia Szlachta, violin
- Janet Underhill, bassoon
- Jacques Lee Wood, cello
- Randall Zigler, bass
Robert Beaser ’72
Nicole Cariglia +
* = Committee Chair(s)
~ = Advisory role, ex officio
+ = Staff, ex officio
Please visit our EVENTS PAGE to see a full list of all BYSO concerts.
For more information about ICP recruitment please Click Here!
For further information or any other information about ICP please contact the ICP Coordinator at email@example.com